Friday, December 5, 2008

WHEW! I've Finally Added Some Pictures

If you've read my posts in the past, I'm sure you know about my "camera phobia". I don't know what it is that keeps me from taking photos. I love looking at blogs with pictures. We're quilters, right? We love the visual. So I'm starting on my New Years Resolution right now .... do more posts with pictures. Here is a wonderful photo taken by Gregory Case, so I can't take credit for it. It is a picture of "Gentle Violet" and it is the cover photo for the pattern. Greg is not afraid of cameras, so he is the man to call when I need a cover photo done.


"Gentle Violet" was named after my Mother, Violet Hopkins. The pattern has a special place in my heart and I hope all of you who have purchased the pattern since it's debut in October have the same love of your quilt as I do of this one. And if you complete yours, please e-mail me a picture.

I've come to realize that I LOVE ribbon and rick-rack. I just recently purchased LOTS and LOTS of beautiful ribbons and rick-rack. My head has been swimming with the possibilities of where they should be used. This is the time of the year that I get to be creative and I so cherish this time. No quilt shows to pack for ... just the sewing machine and I in harmony (at least, most days).

Here's a look at two ribbons I think are really fun. The one on the left is a brown ribbon with pink FUZZY dots! The dots are so soft and cuddly .... I'm thinking it would be really fun to use this on a baby's quilt. Maybe as the binding?? Who knows what will come of it, but maybe you'll find a picture on a future post. The ribbon on the right is a satiny explosion of beautiful stripes in fuchsia, pink and a soft green. I'm looking for the right fabrics to go with this one.....

The last photo today is a small view of "Santa's Winter Wagon". Again Gregory Case was the photographer so I have to give him all the credit. I'm designing a series of seasonal patterns with wagons. So far the Winter quilt and pattern are done. The Spring and Summer quilts are partially done. My goal is to have them both ready for February when I go to Hampton, Virginia for a quilt show. So I'll keep you posted on my progress.

My task this weekend involves a box of fabric I received in the mail yesterday from my friend, Jackie Paton. Jackie designs fabric for Red Rooster. You might remember my post awhile ago about "Happily Ever After" which was her first line for Red Rooster. It has been a HUGE success. So the fabrics I received yesterday are from her Halloween line (It will be out next year). There is a great panel and Jackie wants me to come up with a design that incorporates the panel and some of the other fabrics. So I've got to put on my "Mathematical" head and figure out what triangles, rectangles, squares, or strips to use. I love this part of quilting. Well, maybe not all of the math but the creative part where you can just put together what you like. And then when it's complete (and if it's wonderful) you feel so great! Who needs drugs to make our day better? We have fabric and lots of ideas for our "high". So put your "creative" spirit to work and see what you can do. Enjoy and I'll talk with you soon. Mary Jane

No comments: