Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year to everyone! Just so you know, we finally got back our electricity and then a few days later lost it again for another day. So tonight it's snowing outside but I have electricity, a big fire burning in the wood stove and I'm reflecting about 2008 and planning 2009.
When you turn on the news all you hear is how everything is BAD. I've always lived my life as a Pollyanna - I'm usually a very positive person and think how wonderful it is to be alive each day. I especially don't get hung up in negative thinking when it is not in my power to change whatever it is that's going on. A couple of nights ago I phoned an old friend of mine because I hadn't gotten a Christmas card from her. She is one of those people who remembers everyone's birthday and never, ever forgets to send cards. (I only wish I were as good as she is) So I found out that she had been deathly ill, and was in the hospital for 30 days. It made me think about relationships. I think about friends and family every day, but with my incredibly hectic life I don't always tell them that I'm thinking about them. Not that I think they are psychic and will know I'm thinking of them, but I just think I'll get to it later. I have WORK to do .... so if you are like me, maybe it's time to tell each and every one that you love and hold dear to you just how much they mean to you each and every day of the year, not just birthdays or holidays, and that every single day of the year they are in your heart. So here is my resolution for 2009 (and I never make resolutions so this is new for me), I'm going to call and write to friends and family more often just to tell them they are special. I think with my friend's brush with death it made me realize that we need to actively participate in friendships and don't take it for granted that they will be there always. So give your friends and family a hug for me.....Mary Jane

No comments: