Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Iceman Cometh!

If you've listened to the news lately, I'm sure you've heard about all of the ice we've had in the Northeast. We have been without power since Thursday night. But I thought you might like to see a little of what we've had in our yard. I know that this storm has brought troubles to many residents throughout the area and I don't want to make light of it, but you also have to admire the shear beauty of Mother Nature. This little weeping cherry in my front yard is just covered in ice (in fact you can't find a tree that isn't completely covered).

Then there is this beauty right by my front door. Both of the enormous rhododendrons are covered in glistening crystals of ice. Who needs diamonds for Christmas? We have all the bling we need right in our own yard.

And last, but truly not least is this giant beech tree that I see from my kitchen window. It is the first green I see in the spring ... a lovely soft spring green. But right now, it is a frozen statue. I took all of these photos over the week-end. Yesterday we had temperatures in the 60's so all of my lovely ice sculptures are gone - and hopefully we'll have electricity again real soon. Now they are predicting snow tonight and tomorrow...so who knows what else lurks on our weather horizon.....

In the meantime I'm going through sewing withdrawal. I was sewing borders on a quilt when the power went off...so close to having the top done that it is driving me crazy. I used the first day to clean one of my sewing machines. A good use of your time, right? I even put in a new needle. But by now, I've used up all of my "non-electric" ideas and I've done so many Suduko puzzles it's not funny. Plus who knew that it gets dark so early in the day this time of the year? So wish me luck and hope that our electric company can bring back the light....Mary Jane

1 comment:

little acorns said...

Oh - I hope that you do get your electricity back on soon!. . . I can imagine it might be a bit of an adventure . . . but after 6 hours. . . the 'adventure' part would certainly wear thin! - But I can see your perspective . . . of how there is beauty in it!
xo, Bren