Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Where Does The Time Go?

I can't believe how quickly time passes. When I was growing up my family used to take a vacation every summer to Wisconsin to visit our relatives. My father would take 2 weeks off of work and we would drive from Los Angeles to Wisconsin. Somehow those 2 weeks seemed to last forever....and the memories of the fun we had have lasted my whole life. Now 2 weeks seems like minutes. Is it because we have so much more to do now compared to when we were young? Or is it just some kind of time "vacuum" we are in and the vacuum is compressing time? So my way to gain a few hours each day is to give up some of my sleep. This is not a wonderful solution, but it is a way to find a few more hours each day.
I usually start my projects about 8 pm each night and work until 11:30 pm. You would be surprised how much you can get done in those few hours each night. I started a baby quilt this week and it is so adorable. I am using a fabric similar to Minkee, but made by RJR. It has more of a nap to the fabric than Minkee and it is so soft and cuddly. I cut 5" squares of white, pink, and a pale lime green. I'm putting together a row of green and white squares, then a row of white and pink squares. Once I have the top together and the back on, I'm going to use jumbo rick-rack and put it diagonally between the green and pink squares. (Someday I'll get a camera so I can show you pictures of projects in the works, but that's a whole other post to write about my camera challenged existence). I absolutely LOVE rick-rack .....give me the baby size, jumbo, whatever....I'm happy! Rick-rack reminds me of my Home Ec classes. We made an apron and put 2 rows of rick-rack on the bottom. My sister still has her apron and we take it out sometimes to reminisce about those days. We also made pot holders, which have long since gone to pot holder heaven. Maybe the pot holders were my first endeavor into a variation of paper piecing, because they had us sew on paper first without thread in the needle so we could get used to following lines (and hopefully not sewing our fingers). So now it is time to sign off and get on with the day. Mary Jane

No comments: