Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas traditions

Well, here I go ......I've finally gone hi-tech! I've figured out how to create a blog. (don't forget that I learned to type on a manual typewriter!!) I'll try and post every few days so you can find out what's happening at The Christmas Shoppe. Last night we had a HUGE snow storm and it took my husband 1-1/2 hours to plow our driveway. But it was so beautiful when I woke up this morning ..... the snow covered pines were just gorgeous.
Yesterday I decorated my Christmas tree and even though it is a wonderful thing to do, I was also reminded of times gone by. My mother used to give us an ornament each year that we could open before Christmas and hang on the tree. I cherish these ornaments, but also get a little melancholy each time I hang them up. I decided that I would continue this tradition and today I went shopping and bought my 2 grandsons, and my 2 daughters their own ornaments. Of course I came to the office and didn't think to bring wrapping paper so the "crafty" me decided to use paper grocery bags. Then I made some really cute labels with their names and instructions to OPEN NOW. My youngest daughter is going to their house tonight, so they will have something from Grandma today.
On the quilting side of my life, I've been working on a "Strip Club" pattern and I'm making it out of 30's fabrics. I decided to use only red, blue and yellow fabrics. It is coming out so cute. (When I learn to post pictures, I'll show you some of the works in progress) I have the 80 blocks done and sewed together, so tonight I'm hoping to get the borders on. I always agonize over the border fabrics and I always preview so many before I decide. Do you ever have the same problem? I also get hung up on having the borders be a little darker than the blocks....even though I broke that rule a few times and had a lighter border and the quilt police didn't even come and get me!
I hope your day is going well and I'll talk with you soon.
Mary Jane

No comments: